The crisp weather of fall and comfort food go hand in hand. As the weather cools down, the urge to binge on rich, heavy foods rises. Mashed potatoes are one of those dishes that embody the spirit of comfort food – simple, carby, and universally appealing. These buttermilk mashed potatoes are no exception.
My recent obsession has been baking with buttermilk. I don’t know how I baked without this magical ingredient in the past, but now I can’t imagine baking anything that lacks the acidity and tenderness buttermilk brings to the party. I don’t love that you can only buy buttermilk in a half-gallon portion, because my aversion to wasting food means I have to put effort into finding different ways to use up the remaining buttermilk before it expires.
One of the easiest ways to use up buttermilk is to splash it into some homemade mashed potatoes. As with baking, it adds a pleasant dimension of acidity to the dish. Pair this with any hearty entree and you’re golden. (I served these with buttermilk-marinated chicken one night and it was to-die-for).
You’ll love how flexible and forgiving this recipe is. Make sure that you cook the potatoes long enough that they are completely soft. Everything else can be adjusted, added, or taken away depending on your taste preferences.
Find the complete recipe below:
- 1.5 lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 1 scallion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Fresh dill or parsley (optional)
- Wash and dry the potatoes and scallion.
- Large dice the potatoes. You may peel them first; I prefer to leave the skins on.
- Cut off and discard the roots of the scallion. Slice the scallion thin.
- Boil a large pot of salted water. Once boiling, add the potatoes and cook for 14-16 minutes or until soft enough to be pierced with a fork.
- Drain potatoes thoroughly and return to the pot.
- Off heat, add in the sour cream, butter, scallion, and buttermilk.
- Mash potatoes to desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with fresh dill or parsley (optional).
- Serve with your favorite entree.
What would you serve with Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes?
Give me your favorite comfort food recommendations in the comments!
Remember to share the love – I always appreciate a mention on social media!